Friday, October 15, 2010

My First Joint

So, I saw this joint just laying there in the drawer, it was, like, just a sample to get a beginner like me started. I thought, why not? Ya know, just experiment a little, take a few deep breaths, expand my horizons with nature's plants.
 So I rolled...my sleeves up, was taught how to use this crazy looking jig...
 ...and started cutting! The first joint was so liberating that I wanted another...I can't remember what kind of joints they are but the first cut was hinged on a nail and the second one I drilled a round hole and put a dowel inside the joint. Joints get you inspired, man.



You might notice a band-aid on my thumb. This was my first incident in the wood shop. It involved picking up a new drill bit that was resting on the table and not connected to any machine. After using large noisy machines all over the shop all morning, I start bleeding from holding a small drill bit in my hand. Classic. It sliced a paper cut sized gash through my thumb, because of public health reasons I could not keep my bloody portion of the wood I was working with...that would have been awesome.  
I now have the beginning of an ankle and knee joint for my creature, a work in progress.