Monday, October 11, 2010

26.2: Check

Here is the marathon training schedule I re-wrote in a way that made sense to my brain and was posted on the fridge for the duration of my training:












The schedule was followed for the most part.
Here was my final meal before race day:
There was plenty of snacking going on in between to be sure. A marathon runner always has an appetite!!











 There are many ways to get psyched for race day. Mine, unsurprisingly, was theatrical.

I'd like to thank ALL of the people that helped me get to the finish line (and under 5 hours!)...Thanks to Danny for running miles 14-18 with me. Those were definitely the miles with the fewest people cheering. Thanks to Pop for being at mile 14 and 16. Thanks to Carolyn, Haley, Sarah, Theresa, and Nate for cheering for me at about mile 23. It was 'sorely' needed at that point. My sister, the south side transplant and my nephew Nate (who was born on the south side through no fault of his own) reminded me that I did, indeed, make it to the south side with my own two legs. They were cheering near that ballpark that the White Sox play at...what's that place called again?
 This picture was taken by my sister at mile 23. That's not hapiness; that's delirium.
This poster was given to me at the finish. Thanks, Theres...
Thanks to Jennie and Eric for running around mile 25 with me down Michigan Ave. I had the reflection in a storefront window to confirm that my legs were still attached to my body and they were still moving beneath me. I wasn't sure at that point what my body was doing.
I'd like to thank the stranger along the marathon course whose sign read "Chuck Norris never ran a marathon." If you are unfamiliar with the Chuck Norris facts, see them here.
Chuck Norris is Walker Texas Ranger: 

I'd also like
to
take
some 
space
on the
post to allow you 
to
stop
scrolling 
down
in
case
you
don't
want to
see my
blood 
blisters.
If that is 
the case
then stop
right 
here.

I recently learned that many Marathon runners experience forms of depression on the days following the race. I did feel some strange sadness yesterday but well, I have grad school to get back to now...Thank you Chicago Marathon, and good night.