Saturday, October 15, 2011

El Gallo v. La Gallina





Sorry for the delay in blogging. I've finally adjusted to the altitude here in Chiapas, Mexico. 2,200 m (7,218 ft) to be exact...Just reading an email took every bit of energy I had...oh, and learning to speak another language has had me a little preoccupied as well. Everything I do is an adventure and a mini-accomplishment. I took my clothes to the lavenderia IN SPANISH. I shopped in the supermercado IN SPANISH.
When you close out one language, (in this case, English), new languages brighten all around you. ...drawing, miming, tone of voice, facial expressions, etc.
Some thoughts from San Cristobal on language:
A meditative drawing on language nestled next to the famous mustard yellow hoodie.
Learning a language has amplified my reliance on learning visually. I was typing on my computer in the dark the other day and a student walked into the lounge and said something to me. I panicked because I could not see their face well enough to hear them.
Landing in a place to learn a foreign language is like becoming young again. I point at objects when I know what they are called and giggle...like I'm in preschool. Learning a language forces you to be creative and to think better. Learning a language gives you a good reason to sometimes listen more and talk less, or only when necessary.  Learning a language makes you notice things about your native language that are absurd. Perhaps much of language obscures more than it clarifies. I tried explaining the difference between a bit, a little bit, and a little yesterday. And then I tried explaining that "the wind blows" but you can "wind a cord"  or "get winded" as well.
Here's one vignette of speaking Spanish that sent me thinking about learning: I was running through flashcards with my teacher on various animals when I came to the picture of a hen/rooster. Was it "el gallo" or was it "la gallina?" Was this a vocabulary error or do I just not know my farm animals?..my urban roots revealed right then and there?
Learning a language makes you brave, humble, and has made me come more alive.