Thursday, November 11, 2010

When Vacuums Arrive Without Husbands

"#&*@$!, the replacement belt I ordered from hoover.com doesn't fit this ancient model!"
You'd think that the fact that this vacuum belonged to my grandma and had sat in a closet as "back up" for 20 years would scare me away. But, I channeled my inner Amy and Martha (See youtube video below) and got crafty.
I went to the local hardware store and bought a Dirt Devil brand belt ($2.99!) and it still didn't fit! Oh, heavens! So I started cutting with the ole pair of trusty surgical scissors. It's kept nearby in case a guest is choking and we need to cut open their throat so they can breathe. 



By Golly, it worked! 


Notice how the autumnal burnt orange of the vacuum , carpet, and dining room chair, pair beautifully with the yellow cardigan.

I'm so excited, I might just tell Amy Sedaris about this at her booksigning this Saturday at the Borders on Michigan Ave. Her new book is Simple Times: Crafts for Poor People