Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Doodling Tuesday goes 3-D


So this first picture isn't a doodle, but shows the nice contrast in weather and recreation from last weekend's art fair. Say yes to kites!
Okay, on to the doodle...


I'd like to showcase a three dimensional "doodle" piece that is a still a work in progress. Inspired by a vivid dream I had last month and the form of mussel shells(resting in the lower left corner of the picture above), I have begun a paper sculpture. It is a natural progression from the series of "book sculptures" I was making in North Carolina this Spring. Refer to this post and this post about those previous works. My dream was trying to the solve the problem of making the accordian fold (a rather inorganic structure) move organically out of an enclosed space. Ya know, your standard, run of the mill dream. Take THAT dream interpretors! Side note: I will be returning to the theme of accordion folds in a future post soon. Okay, back to this crazy dream...
so wouldn't you know it, nature's done it already. My coils of handwriting (torn out of my journals) are growing out of these "pods" that are shaped much like a mussel shell.

It can morph out of the wall as well. I'm not sure where it is headed; it's doing things of its own accord. I just hear one word in my head as I'm working on it: MORE. Perhaps these pods will start flourishing in the cracks of my ledges like fungi. Thoughts?