Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Revisiting those Famous Graves




It just so happens that I had to drive past one of the graves featured on my 2009 Famous Chicago Graves Calendar.

I parked my car in nearly the exact same spot as I did last summer at the Robinson Family Burial Grounds in the Robinson Woods Forest Preserve. This time, a family of deer were dining on bread pieces left around the Indian Burial Monument. As you may recall from the calendar, ghost hunters who have visited this "highly active" space claim the presence of paranormal activity such as the scent of lilacs in the middle of winter. I took a deep breath hoping to smell some ghosts who like to manifest in the form of flower smells. No luck today. I was happy to glimpse some real deer up close though.

I also tried to recreate the same photo (pictured above) that I collaged into the December issue of the calendar. Those of you who have the calendar may remember my picture of my self-timed camera balancing on the hood of my polka-dot car while I ran into the picture with the gravesite in the background. Here it is again, only winter! Notice what a Chicago winter can do to your polka-dot painted car!
The deer- I'm assuming the papa deer, the others retreated into the brush- stared intensely at me while I was setting my camera on my car and running into the snow. I imagined this deer thinking to himself, "You humans are so bizarre. Can you finish taking your pictures so we can get back to munching our bread? Thanks."