Saturday, February 28, 2009

3rd most Popular Blog of 2008! The Mullet!!!

Remember that Mullet post? I've learned that someone somewhere in the world types in "How to Make a Mullet" nearly every day and arrives at my blog. Who knew there was such a need in the world for mullet instruction?

Welcome to Jean's School of Mullet Creations:

Michael is headed to NASCAR this weekend and we wanted to make sure his passport to Indiana was in order. We were ready to begin after intense research over at the excellent website: http://mulletsgalore.com/

mullet: noun 1. a chiefly marine fish that is widely caught for food. 2. a hairstyle in which the hair is cut short at the front and sides and left long in back.

Jean: "So, Mikey, you want it short in the front and long in the back, right?" Michael: "Yeah, I wanna Mullet!"

I have never cut anyone's hair before so a mullet request made me extra nervous. I've been told I have "hands of gold" with other craft projects, so why wouldn't it extend to the realm of mullet art? Tools required: Scissors and maybe a comb. The toilet as barber's chair will suffice. My technique was based largely on how I've observed hairdressers cut hair. I comb out a length of hair and grasp it between my index and middle finger. I snip across the top with the other hand. This creates an excellent textured effect if you grab small pieces at a time and work slowly around the top and sides of the head. Remember: you can't rush perfection. We discussed how the mullet lifestyle is largely low maintenance so take special care in cutting off side hair that you would otherwise assume would be tucked behind the ear. Don't assume gel or manual primping will keep stray strands at bay either. This is a mullet, ladies and gentleman. Notice the hair cutting form I use: raised elbows, hands kept within inches of head at all

times, basically intense mullet concentration.

Let's get a good 360 degree look:

To add to the mullet-do, try on a handlebar mustache, like a little caterpillar reclining on his upper lip:

Do not confuse the handlebar with the closely related but culturally incompatible Fu Man Chu:

We noticed how Michael became more belligerent and turned from fine wine to corn whiskey as his hair got shorter and shorter up top.


The utterly convincing transformation has frightened me a little but Michael is surely ready for NASCAR now.