Monday, January 19, 2009



I was recently reminded of the relevance of my Famous Chicago Graves Calendar and Barack Obama. Yes we can...connect these two seemingly unrelated topics.
In January of my calendar, I feature the grave of Marshall Field in Graceland Cemetery. (That's my sister, the debutant, getting pretty by the pool.) The monument for Marshall Field was created by sculptor Daniel Chester French and was designed with the well-known architect, Henry Bacon. Are you seeing where I'm going with this? Reflective pool? Classical Greek inspired monument? Bronze figure?
Yes, the LINCOLN MEMORIAL! Ding, ding, ding! Remember, it's on our 5 dollar bills:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_$5_reverse.jpg
These same guys created the Lincoln Memorial where Barack Obama just made another historic speech. So if you aren't in D.C. witnessing the inauguration, you can always take a stroll over to Chicago's all-star cemetery, albeit in the snow, and feel, well, you know, connected.