Friday, December 26, 2008

Bleach for the Stars




There was some enthusiastic winter cleaning going on this holiday season.When I thought I had successfully tackled the pantry with some trusty bleach cleaner, I glanced down and saw the magical chemistry of bleach and my formerly good pair of brown slacks. (Yes, I like to insert the word slacks wherever possible.) If I had spilled wine or tomato sauce on my, ahem, slacks, I would have stuffed them under the sink and gone into emergency operation. But with bleach, your slacks are dead on arrival. And in this case, the bleach made the brown color turn a pinky red. There's an interesting color and science explanation somewhere in there. So I decided to do a little renegade applique. I cut out a wonky star from scrap corduroy using pinking shears (zigzag fabric scissors.) The zigzag edge keeps the fabric from fraying. Then I used a zig zag stitch on my sewing machine to go around the edges. I stitched maybe three times around the perimeter to get it solidly in place and covering the whole bleach stain. If you're wondering, I used red thread because that was what was already in the bobbin. Mysterious red, blue, brown color combo explained!